College Party Drugs

Drugs of Concern

  • 3,4-Methylenedioxy-methamphetimine a/k/a Ecstacy, MDMA, XTC, X, Adam, Clarity
  • Flunitrazepam (Rohypnol) a/k/a Roofies, Roach, R-2, 542, Mind Erasers, Roché
  • Gamma Hydroxybutrate a/k/a Liquid X, Georgia home boy, Goop, gamma-oh, Grievous bodily harm
  • Ketamine hydrochloride a/k/a Special K, Ket, K, Vitamin K, Kit Kat, Keller, Cat Valium, Purple, Super C

Growing Popularity of These Drugs

Due to the increased popularity and availability of these drugs, and the potential for criminal use, the penalties for possession or distribution of them has increased as well.

Federal and state laws have been enacted in response to the use of some of these drugs to protect against uninvited sexual relations.

The University of Illinois is considering steps it can take to prevent the spread of these drugs.

The University of Illinois at Chicago and the Attorney General’s Office recently held a summit for campus safety concerning date rape drugs.

How Serious Is It?

The penalties for these party drugs, or as the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency calls them “Drugs of Concern,” are very severe. For example, the penalties for Roofies are shown below. The penalties for the other drugs are very similar.

Roofies: Knowing possession is a Class 4 Felony in Illinois and is subject to 1 to 3 years imprisonment and a fine up to $25,000.

Manufacturing, delivery, or possessing with the intent to deliver is a Class 3 Felony subject to imprisonment for 2 to 5 years and a fine of $100,000. Under Federal law, the punishment is very severe. For 1 gram, it is up to 20 years imprisonment and a fine up to $1,000,000. For 30 milligrams, the penalty is up to 5 years and a fine. Simple possession under 30 milligrams is subject to up to 3 years imprisonment and minimum fine of $1,000.

Note: The part that is not considered by most casual users of these drugs, though, is the related charges that can be filed in addition to a charge for possession.

If you are in possession of more than a small amount of any drug or more than one pill or container, you will likely be charged with the crime of possession with intent to deliver.

That will carry a much stiffer penalty than mere possession. You may also be charged with both Federal and State charges.

Related Charges

In Illinois, related charges can include DUI, criminal sexual assault, aggravated criminal sexual assault, criminal sexual abuse, aggravated criminal sexual abuse, aggravated battery, possession of a look-alike substance, and possession of an intoxicating compound. This list is by no means exhaustive.

Keep in mind that DUI can apply to any time you are in possession of a vehicle while impaired. Also consider that a person cannot consent to sexual relations if they are in an intoxicated state.

These related charges can result in imprisonment from 1 to 30 years and fines depending on the charge. Federal law doubles any available punishment for distribution of a controlled substance to anyone under 21 years of age and has a minimum 1 year in prison for distribution.

That will include handing any amount of these drugs to a friend who is under 21, which most college students are.

Even if your friend is 21, the maximum punishment is also double with a minimum 1 year imprisonment if you distribute in, on, or near a college.

Rape is punishable with a minimum of 1 year in prison up to 20 years and a fine.

Anyone convicted of any of these drug offenses will lose their federal benefits. That includes student aid in the form of loans, grants, and work study.

University Conduct Code

The University will bring conduct charges against any student that violates any drug law, whether or not they have been charged with a crime. Some conduct violations result in that information being placed on your transcript.

Typically, a student caught in possession will face conduct probation or suspension. A student who may have been distributing drugs will likely be dismissed from the University.

The University receives any arrest information that the Champaign Police may have.

Many students will not be able to receive professional licenses (e.g., law license, medical license, teaching certificate).

Where to go for more info

The information contained herein is not intended as a substitute for legal advice. Students who are confronted with legal problems or who need specific advice are encouraged to seek assistance from a licensed attorney at Student Legal Services.


Brochure Download

The information on this page is also available to download in brochure form.